Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Biggest Winner

Since the last entry I've been in the gym and gradually changing my eating habits... until Monday, January 11th. I joined Mentor's Biggest Loser challenge. $25 buy in and the top three winners take home cash. Now I wouldn't say I'm a gambling man, but when there is a competition I have a "I gotta win this thing" click in my brain.

We are measured on % of weight lost. So here's the come to Jesus moment where I bare all. I weighted in at 280lbs. That means I need to be at 240 by August 25th. This Biggest Loser challenge is the beginning of my Biggest Winner 40x40 campaign.

So far so good. Angie, the Mentor gym director & personal trainer AND friend, has me on a plan. I'm food journaling everything that goes in my mouth and what I exert for exercise. The exercise is surprisingly easier than the journaling. I see I am making good choices for food, proportins is my downfall. I'll be working on that. Each week we meet up and review the journal. I'm not sure if she's going to be amused at the six pack of microbrews I consumed last night. The upside is that I am not having that nightly glass or three of wine while cooking dinner. Does that count for something?

As for the exercise, right now I've been assigned to put in 40 minutes of hard aerobic exercise 4 times per week. After two weeks we will be adding a strength conditioning circuit training into the mix. Next week I want to add in the pilates class on Monday & Thursday and Abs Conditioning on Friday.

In other news... I signed up for the Shamrock Run 5K. Last year I ran the Shamrock Run and the Yunker Chunker 5K. This year I have a goal to run four 5Ks. When setting these goals with Angie she told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to eat the four hot dogs at this years Yunker Chunker. Yeah, right. Although if I do follow her guidance I will note that she said nothing about the four glasses of beer. Hey, it may be a loophole, but I'm taking full advantage of that!

And a shout out to my good friend Paige. She signed on for a 39x39 after hearing of my 40x40. Paige is also an August baby so we'll be tracking our progress together. It's always good to have a partner in undertakings such as this.

Eat well and run long my friends.

Brian

4 comments:

  1. Love ya man!!!!!!

    I am down 4.5 and feeling good. I will NOT have the come to Jesus moment and tell my weight...BUT I will say that we are not that far off of each other. That is not great news from the health point but great news in that we will be close in the end.

    BTW, you are a fabulous writer!!!! I am so impressed.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great work Brian! And great blogging...I am excited to be a part of this adventure with you and Paige these next 8 months. Shamrock Run might not be in the cards for us since that's also the weekend of Sip. But, I'll do a 5K in my mind that day. :-) Keep on keepin' on!

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brian,

    Good luck with this. You've inspired me to keep a food journal and hit the gym. Both of which I actually did today. Upped my time to 40 minuets. Gotta say those last ten minutes are murder. Keeping a food log is great because tonight I'm not eating the usual simply because I can't write, "11pm 1 hop czar, 8 oz. dark chocolate, 1 cup peanut butter"

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed Brian, You are keeping me honest about my workouts....so far.

    ReplyDelete